Basically, Business process management is simply another form of automation. Does process management provide formation about the fact that what to do? And in this way provide a mechanism to handle the life cycle of ok business process management in order to improve it and design such a system that is as much good as possible. Process management is required wheater you want to apply the best practices of an industry or want to get more efficiency in order to carry out competitive differentiation. BPM is purely made for business people and it is based on powerful mathematical foundations. Its design is matching from top to down with the strategy of the company and its processes involved in the business.
There are so many Participants who participate or become part of a business process. A business process includes all the sources of information, units of business, employees, the computer system involved in the business process, partners of the business, various machines, goods, vehicles, and even business processes themselves (in case of outsourcing). A change must occur throughout the execution or loss of these participants, throughout the growth of relationships and their communication with the overall environment.
So in order to handle all these affairs and problems, we must need a term that can handle these things and provide such a solution that increases organizations’ capacity effectively and efficiently. Such a process can easily overcome these issues.
This dissertation is highlighting research in the area of Business Process Management. It provides the definition of Business Process Management, its scope, features, overview, the life cycle of Business Process Management, technologies used in BPM. It also focuses on the solutions provided by BPM. Moreover, it suggests suitable software that can be used as a part of the solution. It also indicates the business as well as technical advantages of using the software in business activity monitoring.
At the end of the report, all the topic is summarized in the form of a conclusion.
What is Business Process Management?
We can define Business Process Management as a term that describes events and their corresponding activities which are done in order to optimize a business process. Usually, these sorts of activities are aided by the help of different software tools. Such software tools which are involved in this process are often termed BPM tools. It is a holistic management approach in the field of Business Process Management.
By using the term of holistic management approach we mean that it describes systems thinking approach to managing land resources that can build biodiversity, improve production, generate financially, etc. The important aspect of Business Process Management is that it attempts to improve the entire process continuously. Business process management helps a lot in managing or executing various business processes easily and efficiently.
So we can describe this term of Business Process Management in words of “process optimization process”. Usually, it is argued that with the help of BPM it is possible to make the organization more capable by increasing its efficiency and effectiveness, and the system will have more ability to modify than a functionally focused.
Overview of business process
A business process is not a single task; it is the combination of a collection of related, structured activities that results in the form of a product or a service that is according to the requirements of the client. BMP is a managerial practice, so it executes strategic assets of a firm so that they must be clearly understandable, managed, and improved in order to give different value-added services and different products for the clients 1.
So this phase seems to be similar to the other Total Quality Management or Continuous Improvement Process approaches. There are several business approaches that give complete aid to all different types of business. BMP also supports business processes and makes them clearly understandable and implementable.
The life cycle of a Business process management
Business process management activities can be grouped into five categories: modeling, monitoring, design, execution, and optimization.
It can describe activities of Business process management into five categories which are as follows;
Process Design encompasses both the identification of existing processes and the design of “to-be” processes. Areas of focus include representation of the process flow, the actors within it, Standard Operating Procedures, alerts & notifications Service Level Agreements, escalations, and task hand-over mechanisms. The process of design consists of the identification of existing processes 2. More ever the mechanisms of task hand-over and the Service Level Agreements are also part of the design phase. If the design is good enough, it will simply minimize the problems which occur in the process.
The second phase of the business process management life cycle is modeling. Modeling consists of theoretical design and it gives the concept of variable combinations. This thing allows the process to understand how the process works under different scenarios.
Different rules of the business are being used in order to provide definitions for governing behavior and for this purpose a business rule engine is used to execute the proper execution and the resolution of the process.
The process of monitoring includes various individual processes tracking, in order to make it easier to see components on their state, and statistics on more than two processes in order to analyze the overall performance that is offered. With the help of tracking it is possible to determine the state of a customer order. More ever, this information can help to coordinate with the clients and the providers and hence play an important role in connected processes 3.
This is the last phase of the business process management life cycle, and in this phase, optimization consists of retrieving process performance information by the monitoring and modeling phase. It identifies actual as well as potential bottlenecks and cost-saving opportunities and finally applies the modified enhancements in the process of design. By doing so the business value of a process increases rapidly.
BPM technology provides facility in business process change throughout the life cycle which has been described above. It also gives support during various activity collaborations, automation, and integration with different systems. Such models also provide aid in the execution of monitoring and controlling all business activities. BPM has four critical components which are as follows.
- Process Engine: It is a platform for the applications having modeling and executing processes.
- Business Analytics: It helps the managers to find business issues, modern trends, and the opportunities
- Content Management: It provides such a system that can store and secure electronic documents, their images, and such sort of other files.
- Collaboration Tools: These tools are used to remove barriers in the communication by different discussion forums, and workspaces.
Furthermore, BPM also addresses many issues with respect to IT which are as follows;
- It manages all the customer-facing problems.
- Increase data integrity and visibility and provide access to required information.
- Enhance the functionality and modifiability of current data and its infrastructure.
- Deals with the current system and SOAs (service-oriented architecture ).
BPM- Solving problems
Government and business showed special interest in business processes since the last decade, for their management and automation. This increasing attention in this field shows the growth of streamlined business operations, it is also saving cost and thus indicating that in business values, the process is the basic unit inside the organization 4. Public and private bodies pay special attention to business processes as they ensure the success of an organization. Proper management and strong execution of business processes help a lot in managing business activities and employees.
The following types of problems would be solved by using BPM in an organization;
Near 70 percent of the cost should be cut off for getting customers, in order to be competitive, for a computer vendor.
- In the case of a pharmaceutical company, they should purchase new products from the market one month before, in order to increase the patent life of drugs.
- The agencies of government must have to reduce staff by 30 percent.
- The executives of a company are personally accountable under the act of 2002. Their company must be required to control the processes which are in the statements
Business process management is gaining traction for the potential solutions in order to deal with the problems that protected the companies from the quick response and changing market demands and provide enterprise-level view for their customers.
BPM is coving a wide range of vendors and technologies 5.
BPM enables Business-level users to learn;
- How customer-facing problems can be solved with the help of BPM?
- How to provide guarantee to venders about the products that they will completely full fill the requirements of the customers.
Similarly, BPM enables Technology users to learn;
- That it is necessary to adopt BPM products that are involved in the practice control process.
- How BPM solution provides relief to the staff of IT, such that their routine tasks can be empowered by business line managers, who modify technology-based procedures in corresponds with the changing customers and market demands.
Most of the vendors are new in the BPM domain, so they also thought that it’s a new technology. Few features of BPM, such as real-time connectivity, are relatively new, but such new vendors only a handful of customers, and they are not still proven in the marketplace. There are so many vendors which have a long list of customers; because the reason is that they currently acquired a BPM technology.
In such a scenario they are able to maintain an integration perspective. It is often not easy for the users to get a better idea that which offers the best suits to their specified requirements. So they are dependant on the recommendations of the analyst and it depends on which vendor’s technology is advanced enough to make process automation simple. A proper BPM solution can manage changes. It is also not only able to resolve all updating addresses in an organization but it can also able to perform analysis on the critical element like
- When the modification is necessary
- Where changes and approvals are required and
- Finally, who is able to manage or approve changes?
With the help of BPM solutions, it is possible to improve the entire process and ROI that exceeds the business unit level 6.
Suitable software that can be used as part of a solution
Biz Flow is the leading BPM Suite in order to provide solutions that are process-driven. With the help of this software It.
Biz Flow v11.3, Handy soft is the first-ever software that is able to provide a BPM solution.
It enables the users such that they can not only automate but also merged dynamic tasks with the structured process. This functionality is very much important for such businesses which are dynamic in nature6 Dynamic business needs special attention and requires several types of business activities in order to maintain its position and quality of service.
Feature of Biz Flow
Following are some most important features of this software.
Biz Flow involves All BPM functionalities on One Platform
Biz Flow provides such a platform that holds all the BPM solutions. It contains each and everything that is required for such an application that is process-driven.
Some functionality and the capabilities of this software are as below;
- Modeling of process
- Business Rules
- Monitoring of process
- Ad hoc Routing
- Development of forms in the applications of business
- An interface that is more flexible and provides global collaboration
- Monitoring of business process
- Provide security and administration
- Collaboration of user and group
- Management of process execution and state
- Simulation and Optimization
- System Administration
- Activity Monitoring
- Model-Driven Development
Biz Flow software is specially designed to keep an eye on dynamic business needs and requirements.Biz flow provides a set of functionalities that focuses on problem-solving and decision-making 7. Biz Flow software also helps a lot in maintaining a queue of various management activities. It provides integration, system administration, and monitoring of business processes. Its interface is very flexible and user-friendly and is famous for global collaboration.
Biz Flow Process Modeling Capabilities
By using this software, users are enabled to model processes and sub-process. Business analyst and PM work with the developers, and Biz Flow assist them in capturing and showing workflow with different business rules1.
Biz Flow enables the user to manage processes and sub-processes. It also gives support in managing and arranging workflow under different business rules.
Biz Flow Process Modeling with Embedded BPMN
The above diagram shows Process Modeling with Embedded BPMN with the help of Biz flow software.
Business Advantages in using Biz Flow for Modeling
There are so many Business Advantages in using Biz Flow for Modeling; some of them are as follows;
- Anyone is able to make the workflow virtually
- With the help of reuse and the developer models, it increases efficiency and team collaboration
- It saves time and cost as well by providing the facility to drag and drop interface.
- Provide reporting and documents for all the work done so far.
Technical Advantages in using Biz Flow for Modeling
Following are the Technical Advantages of using Biz Flow for Modeling.
- It provides a platform between Business and IT. By doing so it enables;
- An approach that is based on the project team
- Provide forms and in order to automate and apply business rules.
- Provide better and effective communication by;
- Making such a BPMN and swim lines which are very much clear
- Provide modeling that is simply based on drag and drop
- The final output of the documentation can be produced in many languages
- Accommodate the life cycle of process revision
- Process archives and instance files both are managed well
- Introduce modification in the long-running process
- Record of process changes maintains in a decent way
- By working on standard BPMN reduces the learning curve
Business advantages in using Biz Flow for business rules
- Followings are the Business advantages in using Biz Flow for business rules.
- It uses only one platform in order to manage all the work, thus minimizing those costs.
- One most important feature of this software is that it enables modifications without coding more effectively and more efficiently, thus also playing an important role in safeguarding investment, cost, and revenue.
- It increases communication and interaction between Business Analysts, Developers, and end-users 8.
Technical advantages in using Biz Flow for business rules
- Provide point and click design for business process
- For the architecture that is basically service-oriented, it works with the 3rd party and it can give single as well as multiple applications in the output.
- It can manage workload by assigning work to individuals or groups of people, thus providing intelligent participation.
Biz Flow Process Monitoring Capabilities
Biz Flow does not only provide a simple graphic display but also goes beyond it. With the aid of a process diagram both managers and the workers can drill and find important aspects of the process in detail, such as details of the time the upcoming deadline, and the number of total instances processed. Biz flow is able to take monitoring steps in order to provide Critical Path analysis for the users. This feature helps customers to maintain their transactions while meeting deadlines. Biz flow provides one platform where users can do multiple tasks at a time.
Biz Flow Process Monitoring and Status Checks
Biz Flow provides the capability to the participants of the project that they can start an action on process and can interact with others as well. It works just like an e-mail facility and thus supports processing in parallel. But not like e-mail Biz Flow gives pure visibility to the status of task 9. Due to the outstanding performance of Biz Flow, it becomes the standard in the industry of today. It also involves the functioning of task integration post-approval, task templates, group division, and many more. Hence, it is giving complete specifications of activity tracking. Biz Flow provides an interaction facility by which multiple users can connect with each other using the same platform and share their information and resources. There is a need to clarify that Biz flow doesn’t work like email, its functionality is different than e-mail. Biz Flow gives full visibility to all processes.
Biz Flow Dynamic Task Initiation, Routing, and Monitoring
Business Application and Forms Development Capabilities of Biz Flow
Biz Flow also offers techniques in the development of forms, as part of its application development environment in integrated business. Now it is possible that end-users or customers not only use forms but also integrate them with some other technology like Microsoft Office, Adobe’s PDF, ASP, and JSP, etc.
Development of forms in Biz Flow
Flexible User Interfaces & Collaboration for Global Workforce by using Biz Flow:
Biz Flow is very much famous if we talk about end-user interfaces. It provides an extremely configurable interface that can easily be managed by the user. Biz Flow provides a wizard-based configuration for systems 10.
So this simply means that those people who do not have any technical skills or knowledge can also use it comfortably. They are also able to modify when required. Biz flow provides user-friendliness in order to give comfort to its users.
Biz Flow provides several features both in the time of development cycle but also during the run time process. It can pick, track, different tasks, documents, which are associated with the process and make them in presentable form.
User Interface and Portlets in Biz Flow
SOA Integration Capabilities of Biz Flow
The average daily work usually consists of finding and then entering that data in a document. By web pages, Biz Flow excels in order to get this data and present it in the form of workflow. Biz Flow makes it very easy for the users to make and use the web services again and again in order to attach application forms to data records. Biz Flow plays a key role in the management systems of documents by enabling imaging of documents, and their archiving.
Business Activity Monitoring Capabilities of Biz Flow
Implicit in rules governs Process control and its relative continuity in workflow 11.
Every rule overlaps on a service level, and hence becomes a performance indicator that is able to analyze and monitor in order to get feedback that must be positive.
The goals and targets of an organization can be tracked by using BPM in the organization. By applying such techniques it is possible to get increased productivity. Taking control of visibility results in higher growth of the organization’s strength, customers loyalty, and improvement in the resources 12.
Business benefits of using Biz Flow for various business activity monitoring:
- Focus and give a response in real-time performance.
- With the help of pre-defined APIs, provide such decision-making that is rapid.
- In order to resolve problems Track and assess risk based on critical factors before they execute.
Technical advantages to using Biz Flow for business activity monitoring:
- For KPIs and SLAs enables point-in-process monitoring
- Create such alerts that are rule-based and manage static thresholds
- Focus actions and their respective reactions.
- Conduct analysis on the impact of the current state.
It’s a challenge for the users to know what they really want in Business Process Management systems, and then select a proper supplier who has the same technology that the organization is looking for on processes such as design, modification, measurement, and tangible benefits. Business Process Management is indeed an established technology that is solving problems in the world of today and is eager to solve many more in the coming time. If it is deployed in relevant to a BPM or BRE is not all things to all organizations. It can not replace every one but still, it can add enormous value to the systems by linking them with a process that is people-based.
It can help in order to manage different users and have the ability to modify such businesses which have complex processes right from their beginnings, thus it can greatly improve competitiveness, flexibility, modifiability, and much more. Biz Flow gives complete support for managing various business activities. It helps in managing multiple users and tasks. Business management needs proper management for the success of an organization. Biz flow is perfect support for managing such activities. Biz flow assists various business processes and its various options, functionalities provide full support to management for managing their activities and employees.
- F Leymann, D Roller, MT Schmidt – IBM systems Journal. Web services in business process management. (2002). Web.
- JF Chang. Business process management: practical guidelines to successful implementations. Web.
- J Jeston, J Nelis. , Business process management: practical guidelines to successful implementations. Web.
- M Wang, H Wang , From process logic to business logic—A cognitive approach to business process management. Web.
- R Burlton, portal. Business process management: profiting from process. Web.
- S Nokes, S Kelly. The definitive guide to project management. (2007). Web.
- SX Sun, JL Zhao, JF Nunamaker, ORL Sheng, Formulating the Data-Flow Perspective for Business Process Management. Web.
- Wynn, H Verbeek, W Aalst, A Hofstede, Business process verification – finally a reality!. Web.
- WMP van der Aalst, AHM Hofstede, M Weske, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Web.
- Business Management, Flow biz. (2009). Web.
- Handy Soft BixFlow, Article Biz Flow. Web.
- Biz Flow, Biz Flow. Business-Process-Management-BPM/HandySoft-BizFlow.html, (2009). Web.