Jamie was born in 1975 and he developed interest in restaurant business at an early age as his parents were renowned entrepreneurs in this field. As he grew up he nurtured his talent as a chef in his father’s restaurant and in his teenage years he joined Westminster catering college to pursue the catering course and it is from this point that he has continued working on his efforts to become a famous entrepreneur in the restaurant industry.We will write a custom Hospitality Entrepreneurship and Creativity specifically for you
for only $14.00 $11,90/page 308 certified writers online Learn More
Jamie Oliver, just like any other upcoming entrepreneur, has made great efforts to create positive ideas using his wealth and fame. He established a charity restaurant that he named the Fifteen Charity restaurant to train fifteen disadvantaged people to join the hospitality sector. With the success of this initial restaurant, Jamie has been able to establish other restaurants in other parts of the world and his entrepreneurial capabilities have been enhanced in the activities.
In his skills, he also advanced in creating campaigns to ban the consumption of unhealthy food in schools and come up with a system that ensured fresh, tasty and nutritious food was consumed. In 2005, Oliver was rewarded as the most influential entrepreneur in the hospitality industry and in 2006 he became the second best chef in the UK. These were the qualities that he used to advance his skills as an entrepreneur and many would refer to him as a qualified person in the field from his achievements.
Appraisal of qualities and attributes of the restaurant entrepreneurship
There are many factors that have been used to measure the success of entrepreneurship in the restaurant industry. Jamie has been in the restaurant business and has tried to reach out to different people all over the world, hence making him gain fame and improve his entrepreneurial attributes.
According to Wober (2002), any entrepreneurial organization aims at promoting its entrepreneurial activities through adapting the appropriate structures, processes and management. The aim of Jamie Oliver’s work was to promote his skills as well as help the society and there was need to ensure that he carried out appraisal for his performance. He advanced ways of becoming the best chef in UK and in this aspect he was ranked as one of the best dinners in the school system.
Hoque (2000) argues that appraisal of the qualities and attributes of the hospitality industry, in which Jamie aimed at popularizing is based on the ability of the firm to meet the following criteria:
- A business structure where entrepreneurs have sufficient information and tools that are necessary to allow them to pursue their solutions and use opportunities to the best of their ability.
- A working atmosphere that encourages initiative by individuals and one which perceives any weaknesses and failures arising in the course of taking the initiative as progress towards achieving personal as well as organizational goals.
Jamie used his initial business project to identify the structure that would help him grow and through his first restaurant, he was able to create more zeal in the entrepreneurial business. After becoming famous in his T.V show, The Naked Chef, Jamie decided to use his fame to help the society. He also developed adventures in establishing food and kitchen shop where people could learn how to develop their cooking skills. This acted as a sufficient way of enhancing the appraisal techniques in his work.Get your
100% original paper on any topic done
in as little as 3 hours Learn More
A performance management system that is operated effectively creates entrepreneurship focus and a shared means of managing the business in such a way that its objectives are converted into effective entrepreneurship practices.
Political, economic, social and macro environment which contribute to the development of the restaurant entrepreneurship
William (2005) argues that the secret towards development of entrepreneurial businesses in the ever changing business environment is the ability to adapt to these changes and to create flexibility, innovation and opportunities in all aspects. The political aspect of a country may determine the course that a hotel business is likely to take. It may enhance its development or alternatively, it may result to poor performance and inhibit further development.
Jamie worked towards ensuring that the prevailing political aspects in the UK brought the best in his work. The political aspects did not negatively influence his growth. An innovative entrepreneur uses the political systems of the country to further their careers and skills. The government offers subsidies, business protectionism and contracts and arrangements that benefit the business entrepreneurs and a restaurant entrepreneur will aim at ensuring that they have made the best out of these political influences. For instance, by offering subsidies to the local entrepreneurs, Jamie was able to serve the public at reduced prices for the training and at the same time make sufficient profits (William 2005).
According to Banks (1972) a restaurant entrepreneur can be said to be a social entrepreneur. Hospitality in the restaurant is a key factor to put into consideration while developing the business and in this aspect the society comes to the mind of the restaurant entrepreneur while carrying on his/her business. Jamie used his skills to help the society and he aimed at reaching out to them through the media. He was able to identify the social needs of people and then use his entrepreneurial skills to manage the restaurant and in turn make social change.
Through the society, the entrepreneur is able to measure performance and assess success in respect to the impact that their activities have on the society. The society provides support to restaurant businesses and this helps them enhance their trust towards a greater number of people and in turn attracts more sales.
Economic and macro economic environment
Choi (2004) argues that with the advancement in the world’s economic development, entrepreneurs in the restaurant business are able to bring out their potential by making the best out of the opportunities that come up. For the 21st Century, the growth of restaurants has been enhanced by the ability of the economy to support innovation and promote creation of wealth. Among the economic development strategies, helping the business entrepreneurs has been one of the most successful and it has taken the hotel industry to a new level where innovation and growth are the key focus.
With the improved growth in the global economy, Jamie was able to overcome the hardships and establish new restaurants in different parts of the world. Jamie’s dinner schools could be used as evidence towards promoting his career and skills in the hospitality entrepreneurship.We will write a custom
Hospitality Entrepreneurship and Creativity
specifically for you!
Get your first paper with 15% OFF Learn More
Possible determinants of the entrepreneur’s future success:
Every entrepreneur knows that effort must be made in order to achieve the desired goals and objectives. Development of entrepreneurs varies depending on the ability to make use of the opportunities that arise. Burns (2005) takes into consideration the personal qualities of previous entrepreneurs who have successfully operated their businesses and the manner in which they operate these businesses and from this it has been possible to draw a conclusion on the determinants that must prevail for the entrepreneur to succeed in future. Jamie had developed the following tactics as a way to create future success:
- Vision: With all the challenges and uncertainties that arise in the current economy, it may not be possible to fully control the issues that affect the future growth of the restaurant entrepreneurships. However, with strong and appropriate visions for the entrepreneurship’s future it will ensure that it grows despite the challenges that may be arising. Jamie enhanced his visions by following his father’s strategies of growth and he focused his business towards the vision.
- Opportunity: The ability to see and assess opportunities is another determinant for the future success of the restaurant entrepreneurs. There is need to acquire the appropriate skills to make use of the opportunities arising so that they are able to fulfill their long term objectives.
- Asset-based: All business entrepreneurships possess assets that help them advance their activities. A restaurant needs to ensure that as it offers its services to the clients, it is also investing in assets. Asset-based development ensures that the entrepreneurship grows and expands its markets even in the future.
- Investment: Successful entrepreneurs are always willing to invest. It is also important that entrepreneurs know the appropriate strategies of investment so that future development is enhanced. Through the different establishment of schools and restaurants, Jamie invested his skills and was able to create markets in different parts of the world. Through investment, he was able to grow to new levels.
- Sustainability: A focused entrepreneurship continues to re-invent itself to ensure that it is economically relevant. For a hotel business to promote growth, it ought to sustain its development strategies both when the economic, political and social situations are favorable or unfavorable. This will help them move forward and create appropriate competitiveness in the future.
These aspects work towards ensuring that the entrepreneurship is strong and is directed towards future development. They create appropriate qualities that make an entrepreneurship has comparative advantage over other businesses.
Nature of the entrepreneurship in the hospitality industry
According to Mehmet (2005), the hotel industry has, despite many challenges, been able to effectively promote hospitality and work towards attracting a large market for its services. In the midst of economic hardships all over the world, the hotel industry has aimed at enhancing its hospitable and sufficient strategies for its customers and this has helped entrepreneurs in the sector to sustain their growth.
In order for the hotel entrepreneurship to succeed, Mehmet (2005) emphasizes that there has to be set goals by the entrepreneurs which should be focused towards creating a successful business environment. The ability to make use of the opportunities that arise is a key factor towards enhancing productivity in the hotel sector and just like any other business enterprises, the hotel entrepreneurship must be objective oriented.
According to Hoque (2000), the hotel industry in hospitality includes those businesses that provide food, drinks as well as accommodation services to its clients. Entrepreneurs working in this sector carry out the following activities:
- They prepare meals for their customers in schools, hospitals or other institutional cafeterias, as well as in the public and private hotels and restaurants.
- They offer accommodation to their clients and provide attractive services like free refreshments and entertainment while hosting these clients.
- They educate interested parties on various ways of promoting good health and preparing appropriate meals.
- They provide venues for important events like meetings and business conferences, where hospitality techniques are also implemented.
In respect to this analysis of hotel industry as a hospitality entrepreneurship, the case study of Jamie Oliver brings out the success that can derived from showing hard work in the sector. Jamie Oliver showed interest in restaurant business as early as at the age of eight years. Through the assistance of his family, he has been able to prove that one can produce the best in this industry through determination and hard work. Hoque (2000) argues that determination enables one to perceive any opportunities that come in the way and bring results from these opportunities.Not sure if you can write
Hospitality Entrepreneurship and Creativity by yourself?
We can help you
for only $14.00 $11,90/page Learn More
Jamie has carried out various activities as a chef, which is all relevant in the hospitality sector of the business. The restaurants that he established provide professional and attractive meals and he also trains more people to qualify as chefs. Hence, it can be argued that through Jamie, ideas have been enhanced in the restaurant entrepreneurship and it can be seen that growth and future development is possible where there is focus.
Relevant regulatory frameworks that impact on entrepreneurial activity
According to Wober (2002), the hospitality sector is one of the most delicate sectors in entrepreneurship as it determines the extent of its prospective markets. Jamie Oliver, in his strategy to advance, has ensured that he brings out the best of his capabilities while serving the public. As part of his strategies, he has tried to identify the needs of people and has established ways of helping them overcome weaknesses that are related to diet and health. All these activities must be carried out within the set regulatory frameworks so that the clients’ desires are protected.
Some of the regulatory frameworks that have an effect towards the entrepreneurial activities in the hotel industry are:
- Health and safety regulations: Knowles (2002) argues that every entrepreneur must be able to define and demonstrate the required health and safety practices in their area of occupation. This means that health and safety are a priority before entrepreneurial activities are carried out. Despite the fact that Jamie had grown up learning the cooking skills in his father’s restaurant, he had to attend training to learn more about the way customers are handled.
- Technical skills: These are the skills related to serving customers, setting tables, promoting sales and providing all the services that are stated in the contract of operation. Expertise is very important before one can decide to set up a hotel business (Wober 2002). Jamie went for catering courses to develop and enhance the technical skills in terms of handling clients and attracting more people through the media.
- Employment frameworks: According to Hoque (2000) it is important that the entrepreneur develops an industry that is based on a variety of research and different sources of information so that he/she is able to operate towards the appropriate terms of employment. Entrepreneurs should also be guided by the ability to determine the potential career growth which includes career ladder. Jamie was able to establish his career path and from this he moved up towards accomplishing his goals. It is also important that an entrepreneur demonstrates the relevant employability skills that will make them grow career wise.
Management intervention and social responsibility in the hotel entrepreneurship
Proper entrepreneurial management promotes growth and ensures sustainability. The social aspect needs also to be taken into consideration while implementing the entrepreneurial skills in hospitality. Management intervention in hospitality management involves the following aspects (William 2005):
- Establishing the most effective chain of command and ensuring that the relevant persons in the chain carry out their managerial responsibilities. The organizational structure should also be well defined so that entrepreneurs can work within their scope.
- The management should also ensure that there are well defined leadership skills. Even as the entrepreneur manages his/her own activities, there is also a need to ensure that the hierarchy level of the organization is defined and that leaders act towards promoting success among the other workers. Through the appropriate training and with the skills obtained, Jamie Oliver has been able to demonstrate his leadership skills to the other entrepreneurs in his restaurants.
- The management needs also to come in to establish ways in which the restaurant can market itself and establish ready markets for its services. Advertising strategies can be enhanced by the managers by ensuring that qualified persons are employed for that purpose. By coming up with an appropriate name for the restaurant, the management will be working towards marketing the business. This has been shown by the efforts of Jamie to promote his entrepreneurships by creating unique names that would distinguish his work from other entrepreneurs. He has been a manager in his work and he has shown great success.
- According to Choi (2004), the management should also intervene in establishing the relationship between the entrepreneurship’s success and the prevailing economic and social aspects. Jamie has been able to promote his entrepreneurship in different economies by ensuring that he carries out a pre-analysis of these economies before venturing in them. Through the use of the media and also through his outgoing nature, Jamie has been able to identify the best areas to set up his restaurants. Every other manager can effectively promote the hospitality entrepreneurship by looking into the economic and social aspects of the locations of their businesses.
In summary, it can be argued that the key to effective entrepreneurial activities in the hospitality sector is to ensure that creativity and innovation is enhanced and to work towards making use of all the available opportunities. Jamie has portrayed his capabilities in this sector through determination and self-confidence and any other entrepreneur can succeed with the same determination and zeal. It is also important that the social aspect is taken into consideration while promoting the hospitality entrepreneurship as the society is what makes up its market.
Banks, J, 1972. The Sociology of Social Movements: MacMillan; London.
Choi, T, 2004. Promoting a Northeast Asia Economic Integration Policy: Korea Focus.
Hoque, K, 2000. Human Resource Management in the Hotel Industry: Strategy, Innovation and Performance; Routledge, UK.
Knowles, T, 2002. Food Safety in the Hospitality Industry: Butterworth-Heinemann, Denmark.
Mehmet, A, 2005. Assessing Readiness for Six-sigma in the Hotel Industry: Some Evidence from Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Hotel Sector: Eastern Mediterranean University.
Near East/South Asia Report: Foreign Broadcast Information Service; USA, 1987
The Rise of Social Entrepreneur: Demos; London, 1996.
Vocational Technical Education Framework: Hospitality and Tourism Cluster Management : Massachusetts Department of Education; Malden, 2007.
William, K, Burns, P, 2005. Corporate Entrepreneurship: Building an Entrepreneurial Organization: International Small Business Journal.
Wöber, K, 2002. Benchmarking in Tourism and Hospitality Industries: The Selection of Bench-marking Partners; CABI Publishing Co.