Chicago Manual Style (CMS or CMOS) is a style manual for academic papers, mainly used for works on philosophy, religion, arts, and history. The formatting style applies to the whole text, including the title page, in-text citations, appendix, and reference list.
Use this free Chicago title page maker if you are unfamiliar with Chicago formatting. You can also check the guidelines below to see if you did your cover page well.
📐 How to Use the Chicago Title Page Maker
We did our best to make this tool as simple as possible. Here’s how to use our Chicago-style cover page maker:
Step 1 – Fill in all the empty fields:
- Paper title
- Paper subtitle (optional)
- Author’s first & last name
* Add another author’s full name if needed
Step 2 – Choose the method for citing sources:
- Notes and Bibliography
- Step 3 – Decide if to download a template or only the title page
- Step 4 – Hit the Generate button and save a file in Docx.
❗ Chicago Style Title Page Requirements
A separate title page might not be necessary for your paper unless your instructor mentioned it. If you didn't receive specific instructions, just place the title at the center of the first page. As the Chicago style doesn't have precise guidelines for cover pages, the best choice is to stick to Turabian formatting instead. Turabian is based on the Chicago manual of style.
Chicago/Turabian format is popular for research papers, theses, and dissertations that need title pages. Below, we will explain how to create a Chicago cover page and share a template.
Chicago Cover Page Guidelines
You might want to get creative when developing ideas for the paper but better follow the rules now.
Here are the requirements for a title page and its content in Chicago formatting:
- Choose a simple, readable font such as Times New Roman, 12 pt.
- Use 1-inch margins on each side.
- Double-space and center all the text.
- Set the title and subtitle of your paper in bold and place them one-third down the page.
- Locate all the other text two-thirds down the page (7-8 lines below the title) and in the regular font. It should include the information in the following order:
- Your name and surname.
- The number and title of the course.
- The publication date or the due date of the paper in the following format: January 1, 2022.
- Don’t include page numbering or footnotes on the title page. However, consider this page in the page count, marking the following page number 2.
💬 Chicago Methods for Citing Sources
When working on a title page, you should also consider how to format your references. The Chicago Manual of Style offers two ways: author-date and notes & bibliography. As it comes from the names, in the case of author-date, you should provide the author’s name and publication date in the text. For notes & bibliography, you use footnotes or end notes. Discover more details below:
|Bad example||Author-date||Note & bibliography|
|Used for||Physical, natural, and social sciences.||Humanities, literature, history, arts.|
|Sources also listed in the bibliography||➕||➖|
The business acquires skilled labor to ascertain its goal to become the number one coffee provider globally (Goh et al., 2020).
The business acquires skilled labor to ascertain its goal to become the number one coffee provider globally1.Footnote
1. Goh et al., “Organizational culture at Starbucks,” Journal of the Community Development in Asia 3, no.2 (2020): 28-34.Bibliography list:
Goh, Sin Yan, Daisy Mui Hung Kee, Qing Er Ooi, Jia Jie Boo, Pei Ying Chen, Asla Alosaimi, and Megha Ghansal. "Organizational culture at Starbucks." Journal of the Community Development in Asia (JCDA) 3, no. 2 (2020): 28-34.
📄 Chicago Style Cover Page Template
Now it's time to compare two title page examples. They might look similar at first, but details are the key to writing a decent academic paper.
First, look at this bad example of a Chicago title page. Try to find mistakes and check them in the following pdf file.
Now, open this good example of a Chicago title page. Pay attention to the font, spacing, and capitalization. You can see the note with explanations at the end of the page.
🎁 Chicago Style Title Page Generator: Benefits
- It is fast. Even if you know how to do everything yourself, a tool can do it quicker. You can save time and not worry about sacrificing quality.
- It is free. You can use it without limits like all of our tools. And you don't have to pay for any of its features.
- It is easy to use. You can see explanations for every field you need to fill in. You can download the title page in Docx format, which can be easily opened in Google Docs, Word, or Pages.
- It has two export options. You can download a title mage made by the citation machine or a template to use it anytime you like.