Operations management is the engine that keeps a business running smoothly, and the right strategy can mean the difference between success and failure. From Starbucks’ customized products to Google’s service design, this article will explore the various OM techniques and provide real-life examples of companies that have reaped the rewards of effective operations management.
🔝 Top 10 Examples of Operations Management Strategies
- Total Quality Management in Supply Chain
- Samba Financial Group Strategic Operations Management
- Tamweel Company’s Management and Marketing
- The Coca-Cola Supply Chain & Operations Management
- Operations Management: Theoretical Perspectives
- British Airways' Logistics and Operations Management
- Operations, Change and Risk Management
- The Operations Management Century
- Coca-Cola Operations Management & Information Flow
- Organizational Leadership and Changes
👔 Operations Management: Definition
The meaning of operations management (OM) is running an organization’s practices to achieve the highest possible efficiency level. It focuses on converting labor and materials into services and goods as efficiently as possible to optimize the profit of the enterprise. A company’s operations management team looks for ways to balance revenue with costs to grow profits with the highest possible margin.
Why is Operations Management Important?
Operations management oversees the entire operating system of an organization, which is essential for the seamless running of daily activities. It also covers the use of resources, such as equipment, materials, staff, and technology. Because of it, OM determines the ultimate success you can achieve in an enterprise.
What Are the 3 Types of Operations Management?
- Financial OM: This category of operations management is used to increase profits. For example, a manager might forego short-term returns to grow long-term profitability.
- Internal OM: This type of OM is employed when a business focuses on improving one or more aspects of its system workflows.
- External OM: This type is used when a business applies the principles and concepts of OM to an external aspect, such as supply chain and vendor management.
What Are the 5 Basic Principles of Operation Management?
- Reality: OM managers need to focus on problems as opposed to techniques.
- Organization: The elements of OM must be consistent for predictability in achieving targeted objectives.
- Accountability: Managers should outline metrics and values to define the responsibilities of subjects. They should also supervise the processes to ensure that targets are achieved.
- Causality: Problems may arise even when the best efforts are made. These must be addressed promptly.
- Variance: Variance in procedures should be used as a source of creativity.
⚙️ 8 Operations Management Strategies
Operations management is like the cockpit of an organization. Managers getting involved in different functions and decisions use different strategies. Here are some of them:
|⚪ Leveraging data||This strategy involves using accurate data for planning and decision-making.|
|⚪ Controlling data challenges||This method utilizes advanced software for analysis and organization of the company’s processes.|
|⚪ Analyzing inventory||Using modern tools and programs makes it easier to categorize the services or products of an organization.|
|⚪ Designing processes||This reliable OM strategy involves managers working together to research, estimate, and design the correct procedures to achieve long-term results.|
|⚪ Forecasting and setting goals||This strategy identifies opportunities when preparing for bad results.|
|⚪ Cooperation between different departments||This strategy is used to help sales, finance, HR, and marketing teams work together to drive improvements.|
|⚪ Social responsibility||This strategy involves being responsible for the community and the environment affected by the company.|
|⚪ HR management||This involves using HR software to manage staff because they are central to implementing a company’s policies.|
💡 Examples of Operations Management Strategies in Top Companies
The following are examples of operations management strategies employed by high-flying companies:
Google Operations Management Strategy
Google stands out for its unique operations management strategy that focuses on goods and services design. The approach successfully uses the future expectations of target clients to drive app and product design.
Deloitte Operations Management Strategy
This company’s OM strategy involves organizing operations into core pillars, such as sustainability and modern technology. It works effectively for taking advantage of emerging technology and promoting innovation.
Intel Operations Management Strategy
Intel prefers to base its strategy on customer satisfaction and home automation. The secret to the success of this model is its responsiveness and guarantee of customer satisfaction.
Apple Operations Management Strategy
Apple’s operations management is crafting attractive and advanced functionalities for all its products. The strategy has been successfully giving Apple’s product a competitive advantage in the market.
Starbucks Operations Management Strategy
Starbucks’ OM strategy is serving customized products to clients based on their regions. The strategy works well because Starbucks is able to fit almost every part of the world, attract more clients and optimize its benefits.
Other examples of companies with great operations management strategies include:
Good operations management strategies can help your company to adopt the best practices for enhanced effectiveness and efficiency. Check out the essay samples below for more examples of operations management!
📝 Operations Management Strategy Research Paper Examples
- Wal-Mart Company's Operations ManagementThis paper focuses on the issue of empty shelves that has recently faced the operations management function at Wal-Mart, its underlying causes, and possible solutions.
- Operations Management and Capacity PlanningIn operations management, the firm considers capacity planning, organizing, and control of resources as the main areas allocate tasks so that the business can serve its market.
- Developing Operations in the Indian Soft Drink IndustryThe Diamond Model theory is unique as it shows that natural endowment factors are not a must for a country to achieve competitiveness in a certain market.
- Supply Chain and Operations ManagementEcosystems represent a paradigm shift in business. It's a new form of organization in which organizational networks combine to deliver services and products in new innovative ways.
- Operation ManagementOperational managers are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that the operations in their firms flow smoothly and without any major glitches.
- Airbus Group's Management TechniquesThe knowledge-intensive process is a major tenet of production at the Airbus Group. Knowledge management plays a major role in accelerating the competitiveness of the organisation.
- Operations Strategy and Management in OrganizationsOperations management are management processes that generate good and/or provide repair, it implements the policies and everyday jobs needed to get together an organization.
- Operations Management and Decision-MakingOperations management stands on the top of all these processes guiding and regulating their implementation in conditions of limited time and production capacities.
- Management of Operations in ‘Starbucks’he report would highlight the concept of ‘service’ as an integral part of operations management especially for ‘Starbucks’.
- Just-in-Time and Manufacturing Resource PlanningTwo inventory systems, just-in-time and manufacturing resource planning, would be analyzed via this research paper.
- Notes Restore: Business Plan ProposalThe purpose of the proposed business venture is to create a stationery product that will succeed in the current market.
- Hitachi Ltd.: Operations ManagementHitachi Ltd. is a global leader in engineering and electronic technologies delivering quality products to its customers all over the world.
- Salvation Army's New Strategic Operational ManagementThe essay aims to provide a strategic analysis of the Salvation Army‘s predicaments and provide recommendations for the future to solve the above-mentioned problems
- Yummy Biscuit Manufacturers: Operations ManagementFor Yummy to succeed and work to flourish the input of each and every resource is essential. The effective use of this input adds a lot of value to the overall processes at work.
- Operations Management: Problem and SolutionThe company must give importance to the field of operations management since it can affect all the areas of the business and has a direct effect on the company’s profitability.
- Best Buy, Starbucks, and Yum Brands: The Effect of Operations ManagementBased on some concepts the proponent of this study will attempt an investigation on three major companies namely: Starbucks; Best Buy; and Yum Brands.
- Quality Management: Customer SatisfactionBusiness practitioners have come up with various models that seek to guarantee optimal clientele satisfaction from the products that they offer.
- Productions and Operations ManagementThis is a case study report on different problems in the Gold Coast Savings Bank. The bank was facing many problems.
- Country Classics: Production and Operations ManagementCountry Classics, a furniture company with customized and standard furniture offerings is faced with the problem of not being able to cope with orders and also declining profits in its standardized furniture section.
- Organizational Management Model of Costco WholesaleThis paper discusses the analysis of Costco Wholesale Corporation in terms of management, the organizational aspect, and the business plan which keeps the company or firm on track.
- Business Planning Guide for EntrepreneursThe checklist to determine whether the business plan is on the right path or you need more information as regards your strategy and the business market you are venturing into.
- Responsibilities of Audit, Human Resources and Governance Committees in Promoting Effective Board GovernanceThe organizational board of directors is charged with the responsibility of governing the organization, taking leadership and directing the formation and administration.
- Cooper Tire & Rubber - Manufacturing in China & the USCooper Tire & Rubber manufacturing is a special area of production that demands a skillful workforce and high-quality raw materials. Special attention should be given to the process.
✅ Essay Ideas on Operations Management Strategy
- Concepts of Management Accounting, Capital DecisionsThe aim of this paper is to take a deeper look at the concepts of management accounting, costing process, cost & capital structure and budgeting process.
- General Motors Company Surviving TransformationIn response to the call for environmental conservation, GM looks forward to manufacturing electric propelled vehicles as well as coming up with battery packs for the vehicles.
- Hotel Grand Palace: Operations ManagementThe paper is going to look at the hotel operations management in general and then narrow down by considering case of operations management in Hotel Grand Palace on a broader level.
- Motorola Inc: Change ManagementEffective change management is the key to business success that integrates other functional areas, which together enable an organization to excel in the marketplace.
- Coca Cola Operations ManagementCoca-Cola Company is a worldwide soft drink company with an international market presence in over 200 countries.
- Operations And Logistics ManagementIn general Logistics and Operations Management encompasses all the processes that are carried out in order to produce goods and services.
- Analysis of Northern Rock BankNorthern Rock is British Bank wholly owned by the British Government. This work examines the Northern Rock Bank from different angles, using also the methods of SWOT and PEST analysis.
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.: Company AnalysisA United States' public corporation that operates a series of supermarket stores globally. Founded in 1962 by Sam Walton, Wal-Mart is the largest full-line discount in the world.
- McDonald’s Organization: Operation ManagementAnalysis of McDonald’s operations to come up with the concepts of operations management that are applied by this large corporation.
- The Phenomenon of the Operations Management in BMWIn the case study, the concerned organisation was at a point where it wanted to be a leader in the production of the Mini. In other words, part of its corporate strategy was to be in the business of Mini production.
- Operation Management Issues in Impressive Burgers CompanyDiscussion of the situation of company, Impressive Burgers, and the possible ways out of the present bad situation with the operations management and the actions that should follow.
- Service Delivery Excellence: Engineering, ConstructionThe international business manager should then study and understand the complexities pertaining to engineering and construction services delivery.
- Volvo Company's Operations ManagementThe key areas in Volvo that need operation management include management of quality, management of production, cost management social responsibility environment, and logistics.
- My Home Solution: Company AnalysisMy Home Solutions is a middle-sized fashion firm that is headquartered in Johannesburg South Africa and is an independent subsidiary of Malcolm designs.
- Thornton Printing Company's Operations Management ProblemThis article gives an example of Thornton printing company which experienced the problem of poor communication strategies which resulted in poor quality control in its operations.
- About Business Process Management and Research That Studies ItThis study examines various aspects of business process management, and also discusses some of the studies devoted to this issue.
- The Role of Management and Organizational Behavior in CompaniesThe old organizational formations that formed the management of organizations' resources are no longer efficient. Organizational change is about a stressful process as far as it can get.
- Terror Tubes: Operational and Strategic IssuesThis paper identifies and discusses the operational details that are affecting Terror Tubes Company, emphasizing the strategic implications.
- Zara Operations Management & Strategy Case StudyWhat is Zara operations management style? 👚 Zara business model has proved to be successful due to their objectivity to outsourcing, which serves as a cost reduction strategy. 💸
- Whats Must Do Operations Management?This paper analyzes operations management tools and techniques that will allow Exxonmobil Nigeria achieve its quality improvement objectives.
- Saudi Aramco Rapid Transformation StrategyKnowledge management and intellectual capital entail various issues related to the application of information technologies, to enhance Saudi Aramco business operations.
- Airbus Operations Management – Practices & Areas of ConcernResearching Airbus operations management? 🛫 This report analyzes operations management practices at Airbus during the development of their A380 aircraft. 🧑✈️ Read attentively to learn everything about Airbus operations. ❗
- Ineffective Leadership in BusinessThis paper attempts to conceptualize ineffective leadership in business and outline potential causes and solutions for the issue.